It has been a very upsetting and sad week here in our house. The unexpected death of a very wonderful person who was like a big brother, only better. In our sadness we always ask ourselves why? What would have happened if we hadn't let life put us on our separate paths? Why didn't I call more? And I fear, these will always be there in the back of my mind nagging on me. So I am going to remember all of the things that made Brian so special to me. My first memory of Brian was right before he entered the U.S. Air Force. I may have met him earlier, but I don't remember. I remember one rainy night going to the movies with him in his Toyota Supra. And laughing so hard it hurt. Then shortly after my sister Sara married and moved away, Brian came to my parents house for a visit and left many years later. I remember his snoring keeping me awake at nights. I remember meeting Kristin for the first time. She had just flown in from Mississippi and I was on my way out the door to Georgia. I remember his idea of a cooked steak was 2 seconds, flip 2 seconds done. After I married Jayson and we bought our first house, I remember Brian spending most of his weekends at our house. Sometimes you'd come home from work and Brian would be there waiting. Because of him, I learned how to fry eggs. I remember the night my cousin Anna was staying with us and the four of us went out and Brian had encouraged Jayson to change my phone over to Japanese. Thankfully Anna had the same phone, but it still took us hours to change it back. I remember the night Brian put on Jayson's roller blades and leashed a 10 month old Kaiser and went to the store. We found them both in the ditch Kaiser dragged him into. And the time he let me crash at his house for a long weekend for Anna's wedding. I am sure he didn't really want to see Phantom of the Opera, but he was nice enough to go. So many memories.
Maybe he needed us as a family, but I know we needed him more. With Brian, my family was complete. So with a heavy heart, I am learning to say Good Bye to the best big brother any one could ever wish for. You may not have realized how much you were loved by us. And how we valued your friendship. I hope you at peace. We love you and miss you terribly!
Until we meet again good friend.
Heidi, I love this post!! I have tears rolling down my face. All week I have asked myself the same questions and like you, I probably always will in the back of my mind. Brian was full of life and always lived it to the fullest. I remember that night with the phone like it was yesterday. Brian was always game for doing things he knew we would like even if he didn't. I wish I could tell him how much I really love him and how I thank God that he was stationed at Hill Air Force Base so that our family could get to know such an amazing person that brought us so much joy. Until we meet again!
ReplyDeleteToo many good times to even begin to name them all. Let us always keep him in rememberance. Love that guy to death... And Heidi, he knew you loved him... There is no way he didn't!!! Love you!
ReplyDelete